Monday, April 26, 2010

I'm going to Guatemala!!

Hey everyone!

As most of you know, I'm heading to Guatemala this Wednesday for 27 months as a Rural Home Preventative Health volunteer with the Peace Corps. In an attempt to keep y'all updated on my experiences and share some photos, I've started this blog that I will hopefully be updating on a regular basis.

The PC is something that I've been interested in since high school and I'm thankful to finally get this opportunity. The application process was long and challenging, but I'm sure it will be worth it!

As a Rural Home Preventative Health volunteer, I'll be working with community partners to teach health and hygiene and how to build five principal sanitary technologies in rural homes (water tanks, latrines, stoves, drainage systems and cement floors). These infrastructures will hopefully help combat diarrhea, respiratory diseases, and skin infections, all of which are associated with high infant mortality rates in Guatemala. The fun part is, of course, that I have absolutely no idea how to build any of these structures. Luckily the PC has a pretty intense 3 month training program that will begin this Saturday . We'll receive several hours of language training in the mornings and several hours of cultural, health/safety, and technical training in the afternoons.

I'll be flying to Atlanta for a half-day orientation tomorrow with the 52 other Guatemala trainees and then we'll all fly down to Guatemala City together from Atlanta on Wednesday. Hopefully I'll have some time to post some pictures and give you an update once I get settled in.

Thanks to all of my family and friends who have supported me through this process so far! It's been great spending time with everyone here in Charlotte this past month!

Til next time!
Dirk


What 80lbs of luggage looks like!

No comments:

Post a Comment